The New Jersey Supreme Courtroom receives a $ 1.eight million award for a girl attacked on the NJ Transit bus

The New Jersey Supreme Court recently decided to uphold a ruling awarding $ 1.8 million to a woman assaulted on an NJ transit bus.

The New Jersey Supreme Court upheld the decision to award $ 1.8 million to a woman after suffering an attack on an NJ transit bus. During the attack, she was hit in the head with a bottle, resulting in about two dozen stabs. The decision came out of a 4-3 vote that concluded the NJ Transit “while a public transportation company, had the same increased due diligence to protect its customers as a private transportation company under the law illicit acts of the state “. Prior to the Supreme Court ruling, NJ Transit had argued “it could not be held liable under the higher standard”.

Graphic depicting an African American man in a suit with his arms crossed, standing near a desk with a hammer on it. The scales of justice are hanging on the wall behind the desk. Artwork by Mohamed Hassan, via, CC0 public domain.

In addition to the decision, a new jury will meet to decide whether damage is “also due to the bottle thrower who was never caught”. In addition, judges can also discuss whether NJ Transit has “implemented effective guidelines and whether the driver has followed these guidelines”.

What happened? How was Ms. Anasia Maison hit in the head with a bottle? According to reports and testimony, Maison rode an NJ Transit bus to Newark on July 21, 2013. She was sitting “a few rows in front of a group of teenagers” in the back of the bus. Eventually the teenagers began “harassing them, throwing objects and throwing a knife at them.” At the time, Maison was a 22-year-old student. According to court records, “she tried to move seats but failed”.

When asked about the incident, Kelvin Coats, the bus driver, said he knew there was a threat to Maison and confirmed his job of getting passengers safely from point A to point B. However, he added that it is not my job to get involved. “

In the end, the group tossed a bottle in the face of the teenage Maison “as they got off the bus and called 911 on another passenger’s cell phone”. From there, according to court documents, she was “taken to a local hospital where she was treated for the severe and permanent injury to her forehead that resulted in 22 stitches.”

Coat said he followed NJ Transit’s guidelines and called the control center. The control center did not respond immediately, but returned the call about 15 minutes later and “contacted the authorities”. From there, he “continued to monitor the situation on the bus,” even though he never stopped the bus and never told the men to stop harassing Maison. He also didn’t call the control center “after the woman was hit with the bottle.”

As a result of the incident, Maison filed a complaint in 2014 alleging that Coats and NJ Transit had “breached their passenger transport obligation and suffered serious injuries as a result of negligence.” The complaint resulted in a two-day trial during which a jury found that the Tort Act does not protect NJ Transit from liability and holds them 100% responsible. In the end, Maison received $ 1.8 million.

Shortly thereafter, NJ Transit appealed the verdict on a number of grounds, including “that the bottle thrower should have been listed as a defendant”. However, the Supreme Court joined the jury.

Commenting on the matter, K. Raja Battacharya, Maison’s attorney, said:

“In making this decision, the New Jersey Supreme Court protected the lives of all NJ Transit bus and train drivers. We hope that NJ Transit will follow the instructions of the Court of Justice and review its policies and procedures with regard to passenger safety. This case is a significant victory for those of us who work to ensure public safety. “


Woman who left NJ Transit with 22 stitches following the bus attack can keep $ 1.8 million under Supreme Court rules

The court upheld the woman’s $ 1.8 million price tag for attacking the NJ Transit bus

Comments are closed.